Who can Serve as Personal Representative of an Estate?

Michigan Probate Laywers

During the administration of a decedent’s estate, in other words, a situation where an individual has passed away with property or assets in their name and now we need to transfer those assets or property to someone else, the court will appoint an individual, known as the Personal Representative, to help facilitate this process.  This person, formally known as an executor, will help the court gather an inventory of the decedent’s assets, work with financial institutions, utility companies, funeral homes, etc. to wrap up the affairs of the person who died.

Who can act as the Personal Representative?

Michigan law has an order of priority when it comes to appointment of the personal
representative (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-700-3203),  and it breaks down as follows:

1. Person named in a valid will
2. Surviving spouse if a beneficiary
3. Other beneficiaries
4. Surviving spouse if not a beneficiary
5. Other heirs
6. Creditor of the estate
7. State or County public administrator

How Do I Find A Probate Attorney Near Me?

Rutkowski Law Firm: Asset Protection & Estate Planning has an excellent record of representing individuals in the probate court throughout Michigan.

Because we conduct all of our meetings online, we can assist clients who live anywhere. Take the next step to protecting everyone you love and everything you own through thoughtful planning. Call us today at (248) 792-9193, or fill out our online form to schedule a virtual consultation.

The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Share This Blog

Ask A Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request A Consultation

Call (248) 792-9193 or fill out the short form below. We will usually respond within 1 business day but often do so the same day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.

* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your questions or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Follow Us On

Schedule Your Virtual Consultation - Click to Call (248) 792-9193

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram